Researchers currently think that between five and 40 coronavirus cases in 1,000 will result in death, with a best guess of nine in 1,000 or about 1%.
But it depends on a range of factors: your age, sex and general health and the health system you are in.
Below Are The Facts You Should Know About Coronavirus
- Coronavirus is a family of viruses that can cause mild colds, but also cause serious respiratory tract infections.
- The new virus is called SARS-CoV-2. The disease that it gives is called Covid-19 (Corona Virus Disease 2019).
- The first case was found in Wuhan in Hubei Province in eastern China in December 2019.
- 80 percent of cases cause mild symptoms that do not require hospitalization.
- 15 percent must be hospitalized.
- Five percent are admitted to the intensive care unit.
- The mortality rate is about two percent.
- Severe illness is seen primarily in the elderly and debilitated with chronic diseases.
Sources: State Serum Institute and National Board of Health